Paddle the Canal is a first time event scheduled by Downtown Huntsville, Inc. The course is only about 520 meters long, beginning at the fountain between the VBC and Embassy Suites. This will be a time trial race, with the option of racers signing up as an individual or in teams of two or four people. Registration categories include novice, expert and costume (non-timed). Paddlers must be 18 unless in a canoe or kayak with an adult.
Of note, the event will be in the “entertainment district,” so strolling with adult beverages is allowed as long as no glass containers are used. Food trucks will also be present. Additional details can be found at paddlethecanal.eventbrite.com.
DATE AND TIME
Friday, Apr 21 (I have requested the time/timeframe for drop off)
- Drop off canoes/kayaks at Paddler's Park. Security will be provided.
Saturday, Apr 22, 2017, 7:00 AM – whenever. This could be as late at 9:00 PM
- This will be the day for the timed trials. The specific run times will be given after registration and will be determined by the number of participants in each category.
Sunday, Apr 23, 2017, about 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- This day is currently scheduled for the costume event (this event could be moved to Saturday depending on the number of registrants). It is also the day registrants can take their additional runs.
$20 - individual
$35 - two-person team (relay)
$95 - four-person team (relay)
** Fees include event t-shirt, guarantee of 3 course runs, and access to private Paddlers Park event area. Of note, HHC members have been offered a discount of 5% and 10% was mentioned as a possibility.
EVENT SIGN UP/DESCIPTIONS
Register at paddlethecanal.eventbrite.com. An email will be sent to all registrants on or about April 1st with details on how to select the category you want to participate in. A few notes:
1. Expert category goes first on Saturday morning with each expert category paddler getting one timed run initially. Next, the novice category goes second on Saturday morning with each novice category paddler getting one timed run.
2. The costume category will follow the expert and novice categories. The costume category will be untimed. It will instead be judged by a panel.
3. After all paddlers have paddled at least once in their categories, any remaining Saturday and all day Sunday paddling will be open for registrants to take their second and third paddle runs as they set fit. It will be first come, first served at that point.